Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Taking Risks!


Hens at school and my daughter wants to be in the thick of it.

She has a BIG egg allergy, my initial reaction is, what the heck another issue to deal with.

On a bad day if she sits in a cafĂ© with someone eating eggs, her eyes start itching and a rash can quickly appear………..

Then the brain goes into action mode.

I email the Anaphylaxis Association and RPA Allergy Unit to get advice on potential risks.

Obtain a Fact Sheet and specific medical advice from RPA Allergy Clinic.

All cool, I have their support on my side.

We have suggested strategies to put in place….

I don’t want to put all the responsibility on the school to manage the risks.
 
They clearly want to keep her away from the hens, fully understandable, but not OK.

So I book us on the roster to look after the hens for the weekend.

We pick up the keys and get instructions from the school.

The peer kudos Saskia has attracted for being on the roster is invaluable.

She is glowing with excitement and a sense of responsibility.

I’ve unintentionally enabled her to gain some elevation within her peer group.

In spite of her allergies, “she is the one that gets to look after the hens”, how cool is that?

We managed to get through the weekend and Saskia has an allergy reaction free experience.

She heard the instructions, she maintained involvement, she gauged her own body response and she gained so much more than just the experience.

Her sense of pride was noticeable; she took photos into show and tell on Monday morning and has not stopped talking about it.

Her self-esteem and confidence has grown just that bit more.

Were there risks associated with this activity, yes?

Would I do it again, absolutely?

It has taught me a big lesson.

She needs to be given the opportunities to gain confidence in her own abilities to manage risks.

And these opportunities need to expand as she matures.

So our/her world opens up just a little bit more.


I am so proud of her and of myself for feeling the fear of what might happen and doing it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment